- Type of source: citation database
- Documents: journals / papers
- Format: text
- Specialisation: multidisciplinary
- Period covered: 1823–present day
- Publication language: multilingual
- Interface language: English, Japanese, Chinese
- Downloads available: yes
- Off-line loans available: no
- Guides (English only)
- Video guide (English only)
The Scopus database from the company Elsevier is the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature in the world.
The Articles-in-Press service makes it possible to search for papers from more than 3,750 journals before they have even been published.
The database is arranged by topic into four main areas:
- the natural sciences (agriculture, biology, neuroscience, pharmacology),
- the social sciences (the humanities, business, history, information science),
- the physical sciences (chemistry, engineering, mathematics), and
- the medical sciences (medicine, stomatology, nursing, veterinary medicine).
In addition to standard citation analysis tools, the Scopus database also enables searches in a citation impact index – the Hirsch Index.